Rodent Proofing Tips
Clean Up Common Areas
- Keep counters, floors, cabinets, and pantries clean and free of crumbs.
- Clean large household appliances regularly - mice often make those areas their home.
- Wash all dishes immediately after use.
Eliminate Nesting Areas
- Keep all storage off the floor at the inside and outside of foundation perimeters.
- Make sure to clean and organize your garage, attic and basement areas on a regular basis.
Keep Pet Areas Clean
- Never leave food or water out overnight, even for your pets.
- Clean up after your pets daily - pet feces are a food source for rats and mice.
Seal Potential Entrances
- Mice can squeeze through spaces as small as a dime. Seal up potential entrances with sheet metal, steel wool or cement.
- Check spaces around foundations, pipes, vents and ducts and block them with steel wool or cement.