Rats and mice pose a health risk because they carry and contribute to asthma and allergies and a wide range of diseases.
Asthma and Allergies:
- A study by The John Hopkins Medical Center shows rodents are a leading cause of asthma in inner city children and have also been shown to aggravate allergy symptoms. -- Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Dec. 2000.
- Salmonella, commonly known as “food poisoning,” is caused by ingesting food contaminated with salmonella bacteria often carried by rodent feces.
- Trichinosis is caused by the infestation of muscle tissue by trichinae, an intestinal parasite spread by rodents.
- Leptospirosis is infectious bacteria that “drills” itself like a corkscrew into human skin and embeds itself in vital organs, namely kidneys. Humans contract it from walking barefoot on wet, contaminated floors where infected particles float in rodent urine.
Rats and mice are extremely destructive creatues:
- Eat through cardboard, wood, plaster and even plastic.
- Gnaw on electrical wiring, which can potentially cause an electrical fire.
- Contaminate food.